Thankfully, we wargamers are notorious for our ability to get round things like paying over the odds for the equipment we need to game with. For a much smaller outlay of cash and a bit of time cutting and sticking at the dining room table, it is possible to make your own set of Saga Dice for a fraction of the cost of a proper set.
You could, of course, use any old six sided dice that you happen to have lying around; the rule book does tell you how to use an ordinary D6 in place of a proper Saga Dice, but if you want dice with the same symbols that appear on your battleboard, then constructing your own using blank D6s is something you might want to consider.
I decided to buy a set of 8 blank dice from ‘The Dice Shop’. If you haven’t visited their web store yet, then take a few minutes to do so. They have dice of every shape, colour and material you could possibly imagine (apart from dodecahedral, purple, rice pudding!). I ordered two sets of dice, as I’m ultimately aiming to put two Saga warbands together. The dice are 18mm 6 sided and cost £0.35 each, giving a total outlay of £2.80 for an 8 dice set. Postage varies according to how many dice you order, but I think the postage on my two sets of 8 dice came to £1.39. You can buy dice of different sizes, but I found that 18mm was just the right size to fit the printed symbols I had.
The printed symbols will cost you nothing, apart from a sheet of paper and the ink in your printer. I got my set of symbols from the Armoury section of the Saga discussion group, which can be found at:
The symbols are available as a PDF document to download and include symbols for the armies included in the rule set and a set for Scottish warbands. All you do is print the document and cut out the set that you require. It’s a bit of a fiddly job, but if you work to a system, can be completed in twenty minutes or so. Once the symbols have been cut out, you just need to glue them carefully to the blank dice. I did one side of each of the 8 dice at a time and then rotated all the dice to do the next face; half an hour of brushing on glue and sticking to dice later, the job was done.
A final job, which I shall do in few days time, when the glue has had plenty of time to dry, will be to apply a coat of varnish to each of the dice, just to make sure the edges of the symbols stay down and to add a little extra protection, with all that future rolling to do.
This is what my set of Saga dice look like… I could have found the money to buy an official set I suppose, but for an hour or so doing a bit of crafting, I’m hoping the Gods of the Dice will smile more kindly upon me when my Saga dice clatter across the gaming table.