Friday, 31 July 2015

Wargames Factory German Cavalry Update!

Well, I just couldn't leave them alone! Having posted my last lot of photos of my first German cavalry unit earlier this week, I had to go back and change some more of those heads. In the end I decided to leave the hairy chap at the back of the unit, but the standard bearer and the swordsman on the flank had their Factory heads popped off and the search began for more suitable replacements. I have plenty of Warlord German and Celtic heads in my bits and bobs box, so they were selected to go top the shoulders of the two headless horsemen. As with the ones I did earlier, I had to make a neck for each of the heads using green stuff and was a bit concerned as I was working on a figure that was already painted. As it turned out, I ended removing the figures from the base to make working easier and one of the riders came away from his horse anyway! Re-painting the replacement heads had to be done pretty carefully, to avoid spoiling the rest of the figure, but proved to be a lot more straightforward than I thought it would be. Anyway, lesson learned, I've already sorted out six more Warlord heads ready for the next unit.

The New Model Army! Re-headed with Warlord heads.

All in all, I'm a lot happier with my first cavalry unit, although I wish Warlord would start producing some plastic German (and Roman Auxiliary) cavalry. Hey ho! Back to the painting table, I've got another twenty Suebi warriors to do to finish my next infantry unit!