Intro

Intro

Friday 14 December 2018

An Ancient Beast Stirs in the Heart of Cumbria!

Oh Victrix! Why dost thou tempt me so?

Well, I just can not believe this!
Gaius Julius Civilis and his wailing ladies.
My absolute favourite army of all time is definitely the Germanic army of the Batavian Revolt against the Roman Empire in 69A.D. If you have followed this Blog for a while, you might remember a cluster posts a couple of years ago when I was excitedly cobbling together figures for Julius Civilis' army, mainly, Warlord Games and Wargames Factory, with a few Black Tree Design thrown in for good measure. I loved (and still do) the Black Tree figures but the Wargames Factory offerings were little more than shapeless blobs of plastic and I got more than slightly miffed, when I discovered that the Warlord Games 'Warriors of Germania' set was just a re-hashing of previously released sets of Celtic warriors. There were a number of issues with the Warlord Games set, not least that it included a number of metal bare chested torsos, which made the figures top heavy when attached to the plastic legs!

Although I tried my best to love my Batavian rebel army, the figures just weren't good enough to do justice to what is a brilliant army to build. You have the wild and woolly Germanic types, always a treat to paint, backed up by cohorts of Roman Auxiliary infantry and cavalry and, as if all this were not enough, there were two Roman legions involved in the rebellion as well, albeit somewhat reluctantly. Even a butterfly painter like me couldn't get bored putting this army together.

Sadly, the project ground to a halt and I reluctantly moved onto pastures new... until now that is! It appears that those tempting Johnnies at Victrix Miniatures are planning to turn their digital designing wonderfulness upon some ferocious Germanic warriors. If previous Victrix offerings are anything to go by, then they will be top dollar and will certainly knock the Warlord Germanised Celts and the Wargames Factory blobs into an embarrassing cocked hat.
The very best head on offer in the Wargames Factory German Cavalry set.
The digitally designed heads for the upcoming Victrix Germanic Warrior set... and these are just the ones from the Command sprue!
Suddenly, I'm all of a tingle again at the prospect of building a Batavian Revolt army, but this time with figures that are truly worthy of those magnificent men of Germania Inferior.
My only request of Victrix Miniatures is that they hang on long enough for me to finish my Bolt Action Soviets before putting them up for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment