Intro

Intro

Thursday 26 July 2018

A Second Volksgrenadier Squad Mysteriously Appears!

Over the past month, I have only been able to commit to the occasional potter at the painting table and the relatively small number of figures required for a Bolt Action squad has meant that it has been the Warlord German infantry that has received the lion's share of brush work in the time available. It is a bit of a surprise, therefore, that I suddenly have my second Volksgrenadier squad completed and ready for action!

My first squad had a high proportion of assault rifles, so I decided to make this second one a bit more Kar 98 orientated. I'm not sure if that's how things worked in Volksgrenadier divisions, but I like how this squad has a different character to it because of the weaponry. At the end of the day, I suppose it doesn't really matter, as I can always shuffle figures around if I need to.

Because I enjoyed painting up my first squad so much, I decided that I would attempt to paint up the figures for both sides in a game and, after much indecision, finally settled upon Soviets as the opposition for the Volksgrenadiers. Having settled on the Eastern Front, I happily armed my squad leader with a captured PPSh sub-machine gun and awarded him an Iron Cross for previous acts of valour and daring-do. 

The MG42 man and his ammo laden assistant are, of course, essential in every German Infantry squad and these two are dashing forward into the thick of the action!

The final two squad members are armed with an MP40 sub-machine gun and a Gewehr 43 semi-automatic rifle. At least one of the illustrations in Osprey's The German Army (5) shows an infantryman still wearing the earlier type helmet, so I decided to try sticking one of the heads from my previous Warlord German set onto one of the grenadier figures. Somehow, he looks a bit out of proportion, but the World is made up of all shapes and sizes, so I'm happy to have him in my squad, particularly as it meant I could use one of the loads of helmet transfers I have sitting around in my bits and bobs drawer.

I have already started building figures for a sniper team and a third, and final for now, grenadier squad and intend to focus on some Soviet infantry for the rest of the Summer.


This gallant squad leader has already managed to infiltrate the painting table, pointing out the direction from which the Stukas will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment