Intro

Intro

Saturday 10 April 2021

BARONS' WAR SKIRMISH RULES AT A LOCAL LEVEL!

Smaller Scale Feuds in the Age of Magna Carta…

It goes without saying, that when Warhost and Footsore Miniatures released their Barons’ War skirmish rules, the dwindling pension fund was going to take another hit. Having purchased and read the rule book, I started thinking about how I could build a setting for the game, which would tell a story of events on a much smaller scale than the huge political turmoil caused by the Barons’ War itself. Stories of local feuds and vendettas are the drama that I love to base my games around!

After a bit of searching around the internet, I came across a story which I believed would fit the bill perfectly and, in more ways, than I originally thought.

The star of my story is Sir Geoffrey de Lutterall, the ancestor of the more famous Geoffrey de Lutterall of Irnham, responsible for the commissioning of the Lutterall Psalter in the 1340s. Geoffrey was born sometime around 1158 in the village of Gamston, North Nottinghamshire, about six miles away from where I live. Relishing the prospect of setting my wargame stories in the local area, this was a character that would be worth investigating further.

Sir Geoffrey was a long-time adherent of John Lackland and supported him in an unsuccessful rebellion against Richard I. The consequence of this injudicious action was the forfeiture of some of his estates in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, only for them to be returned to him when John became king in 1199. I haven’t been able to find out what happened to those estates, but medieval kings were known to hand out such confiscated properties to their loyal supporters and, if this was so in this case, the lucky recipients would not have been particularly impressed when they had to surrender them and hand them back over to Sir Geoffrey. If this was how events transpired, then what may have followed, could have been a lovely local feud between the rival claimants to these disputed estates.

The Luttrell Coat of Arms

This then is the background to building a Retinue to use in Barons’ War skirmishing games. I have yet to discover who the dispossessed parties in this tragic saga may have been, but I can start to build my first retinue based upon what I imagine Sir Geoffrey’s forces to have been. Certainly, a small group of local knights, hoping to feather their own nests, would have supported someone who was held in such high regard by the king. Sir Geoffrey’s forces may possibly have been reinforced by members of the Paynell family, from Hooton Pagnell in Yorkshire, into which he had married. As these dramatic events are taking place in and around Nottinghamshire, a strong contingent of archers would certainly form part of the retinue and Geoffrey would have access to the local levy, although these may have been of questionable loyalty.

Wybert Claytone... Veteran Sergeant in the Retinue of Sir Geoffrey.

More to follow, as the retinue begins to take shape…


No comments:

Post a Comment